Thursday, November 21, 2013

Your Choice - Your Creations!

This week, we asked 'Bake Like a Beekman' members to make a recipe selection of their choice and share it here.

 
Sue from NJ
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake 
 
"Easy to bake!  Moist! Yum!  My son and I were looking through the book and we saw the Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake.  My son said, "mayonnaise in a cake??"  Yes!  We all loved the cake.  Excellent!"


 
Missy from MA
 
"The Cranberry Apple Custard Pie was "amazing, my favorite recipe so far" according to my husband and three year old son.  They loved it!  It was easy to make and is quite pretty once all put together.  I will say this pie crust recipe is simply delicious and perfect.  I will never use my grannies pie crust recipe again.  The crust smelled like shortbread when it was cooking and it really tasted like it too.  Very crispy, flaky, buttery, all those good things a great pie crust should be.  I think I may have found a mistake in this recipe though, and I'll be curious if anyone else notices it.  Under the 'filing' ingredients, listed is 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, but in the 'to make the filling' directions there is no mention of the addition of butter as an ingredient.  I did add the butter right along with the other filing ingredients and proceeded to cook it.  I decided to strain the cooked filing mixture after adding the vanilla just to ensure the mixture was lump free (free of any bits of egg).  The slightly tart cranberry apple topping perfectly offset the creamy rich filling of this pie.  A great combination, indeed."


 
John from MI
 
"Here is the Steamed Persimmon Pudding with a lemon sauce I simply love!  I got turned on to this wonderful dessert after hearing Sandy talk about this, and persimmons in general on the radio a few years back.  Having never tried a persimmon, naturally, I had to give it a run! It's really good, especially served with Martha's lemon sacue.  I will be making this for Thanksgiving as well as Christmas!" 

 
Julie from UT
 
"As this week was our choice and was to be something I would want to make as my dessert on Thanksgiving, I had to go with the Pumpkin Jelly Roll.  Thanksgiving screams pumpkin to me and I bake with this flavor almost exclusively during the month of November.  Plus, I hadn't made a jelly roll in many years and thought it would be fun!  I decided to not tweak the recipe too much.  I'm a traditionalist in that I like to follow a recipe to the letter the first time around and experiment later.  For this recipe, I opted to omit the fresh ground ginger and went with the already ground variety.  I also decided to use cooking spray on the pan rather than all the butter and flour.  It worked great.  I found the recipe very easy to prepare, both the cake and the filling.
 
The cake turned out perfectly.  It was moist and sponge-like.  The filling had a great creamy texture.  The Greek yogurt perfectly balanced out the cream cheese flavor.  I shared it with my family and everyone loved it!  Guess I'll be making it again in a few days!"


 
Bernie from GA
 
"My pick for this week is the steamed persimmon pudding.  I picked this recipe for a couple of reasons.  I had a few very ripe persimmons I picked from my tree that needed to be used and it was an excuse to utilize my pudding mold.  The persimmons I used were the 'Fuyu' variety and they worked nicely.  The only other substitution I made was using plain Greek yogurt instead of the buttermilk.  This pudding came together quickly.  The hardest part was waiting for it to finish steaming.  The aromas wafting from the pot were delicious and comforting.  I really love the taste and texture of this pudding.  I will most likely make another for Thanksgiving next week and planning to make this pudding again for Christmas, maybe spiking it with some brandy.  Happy Thanksgiving!" 


 
Carrie from OR
 
"I was so excited to pick anything in the cookbook this week.  I just finished cooking six pie pumpkins for the pumpkin puree for next weeks Thanksgiving pie and keep some out to make this great pumpkin roll recipe.  The cake baked beautifully and came out of the pan perfect.  I made the filling which was rich and creamy.  I might have got too excited and filled before the cake was completely cooled.  This is a great recipe for the holiday!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment