Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Sour Cream Cutout Cookies - The Results!

 
This recipe is getting mixed reviews.  Read through the experiences others have had and if you have any suggestions, feel free to leave a comment. 
 
 
Carrie from OR
 
"I substituted the nutmeg with pumpkin pie spice and sprinkled the top with sugar mixed with the pumpkin pie spice also."

 
Justin from MD
 
"I found this recipe easy to follow, but I was not wowed with the outcome or the flavor." 
 
  
 
Maria from IL
 
"I found these cookies very simple to make and roll out.  I experimented with baking times since I had seen some people having "hockey pucks" come out after 9-11 minutes.  I tried 8 minutes, but found that too little time.   I did a few things to the recipe:  1.  I used plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.  2.  I baked mine for 10-11 minutes.  3.  I cut them out with 2.5-3" heart-shaped cookie cutters and 4.  I rolled them out to about 1/4" or even a little thicker.  My kids loved them!  I think next time I will dip them in dark chocolate or dust them with chocolate shavings."

 
 
John from MI
 
"Love these cookies.  Simple and tasty!  Here are cut out acorns and rounds adorned with stars and flower shapes.  I'm going to try making these using Greek yogurt as well, as I read others have done, and yes, another 'midnight' baking! Do you think this dough would go thru a cookie press or possibly it's too soft?  I may try on the next run!" 

 
Missy from MA
 
"Oh boy, I hate to say it but, not so much of a fan of these cookies.  Darn.  Well, as the saying goes, you can't please everyone all of the time.  Anyway, I found this dough quite difficult to work with.  I thought these cookies would be more like a really flavorful sugar cookie (with the addition of the brown sugar, fresh nutmeg, vanilla, and almond flavoring), but they fell a bit flat on taste for me.  I hadn't expected this dough to puff so much while baking either, which it did.  Because the dough did rise while baking my decision to  use more intricate cookie cutter shapes (maple leaf and acorn) proved a bad choice.  These cookies lost their definition once baked.  We did eat them, we just weren't wowed.  If I were to make them again, I would stick to simple shapes and I would dress them up with frosting or a beautiful powdered sugar/cinnamon dusting." 
 
 
 
Minka from MA
 
"Delightfully delicate with a cup of tea"

 
Sue from NJ
 
"Very easy from start to finish, and tastes great too!  My only regret is making only one batch!"
 
 
 
Amy in MA
 
"These turned out to be a bear for me.  I followed the recipe exactly and after baking the cookies for their allotted 9-10 minutes at 400 degrees, it looked like the cookies had been cooked on top of Mt. Vesuvius.  First tray that came out, Useless.  I determined that the heat wasn't right at all.  So I put id down to 375.  Also, if you don't cut them out at exactly 1/2 inch, even at the lower temp, they were hard as a rock.  I couldn't figure out for the life of me what went wrong.  By the third tray I had them right, but I wasn't a real fan of the flavor either, so I will have to pass on trying these a second time.  What I do well is royal icing and decorating.  I made a meringue royal icing and blinged the cookies out with silver and gold sugar.  Now I'm happy with my results!" 
 

 
Bernie in GA
 
"These cookies are highly addictive.  I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.  I really like the nutmeg in these.  The cookies remind me of old fashioned tea cakes.  I decorated the cookies using a paper doily as a stencil for the powdered sugar.  They were a nice accompaniment to extra dark hot chocolate." 


No comments:

Post a Comment