Saturday, February 15, 2014

You Picked - You Created!

You could almost hear the mixers 'whirring' and feel the heat from the ovens with these wonderful submissions in the "You Pick" contest!  Congratulations to everyone for such outstanding work!

 
Bernie
 
"I decided to bake a birthday cake for my friend George.  He told me that special occasions with his family always involved a coconut cake and I was excited to try the coconut cake in the book.  The cakes baked up quite tall, so I decided to split the layers and make a four layer cake.  The lemon curd itself is divine.  It was a big hit at the birthday party.  Combined with the fluffy white cake topped with light meringue frosting, it was scrumptious!  I saved one piece to eat the next day and it was even better.  I will be baking this cake often." 
 

 
Jo-Ann
 
"For this contest, I chose the Blondies with White Chocolate and Macadamias.  This is the first recipe I've made from  the Heirloom Desserts cookbook.  I chose it because I already had all the ingredients on hand, so not having to slog through the snow and slush to get to the grocery store was a big plus!  I used fresh eggs from our community farm conveniently located right next to our house!  They came out great!  My son ate three for dessert last night!  I hope I win!" 
 

 
John
 
"This week I chose to make the Stained Glass Gelatin Cake from the spring section.  I was hoping it would make it feel a little spring-like with all this snow and cold weather!  It didn't really come out as nice as I'd like it to be, but it does look very 'homemade.'  It reminds me of my aunts 'Italian flag' jello she always makes for every holiday gathering which everyone loves!  The tricky part to this is watching as the white lime gelatin is setting up for the first time.  It sets fast!" 

 
Justin
 
"I made the Do-It-All Yellow Cake with the icing from the coconut cake!  It was so easy and it tastes great!" 

 
Maria
 
"Since it was Chinese New Year, I figured I'd get into an 'Asian' theme and pick the Chocolate Rocky Road Potstickers!  I'd been pondering making these for a while and it was so simple!  I used the square wonton skins instead of round as stated in the book.  Oddly enough, the potstickers they show in the book ARE the square kind, so, I was good.  I found it easy to assemble and it was quick to make.  Some of the filling sometimes oozed out of the openings, but with a dusting of cocoa powder/powdered sugar, it was heavenly!  A nice quick dessert!  I love the crunch and the chocolatey-nutty goodness! Yum!" 

 
Missy
 
"My 'you pick' choice was the hello dollies.  Well... they were scrumptious!  We at them until they were all gone and then we ate the crumbs out of the zip-lock bag.  I used good quality bittersweet (60%) chocolate chips in this recipe.  So easy.  So divine!  I will surely make these again.  For a recipe with so few ingredients it checked off all the boxes... sweet, salty, buttery, crunchy, nutty, spicy, rich, Yup!" 

 
Sue
 
"Chocolate Rocky Road Potstickers.  Delicious!  In addition to being delicious, the best part for me was my husband and I worked together on these amazing treats.  Simple, fun and yummy!" 

 
Kenn
 
"There's nothing I love more than a delicious coconut cake, and that's what I got when I finished this recipe!  The cakes were heavenly;  light and moist.  I used my favorite seven-minute frosting that included a bit of coconut milk and coated the outside with toasted coconut.  Needless to say, this cake didn't last long!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment